Monday, April 8, 2013

Finding the Motivation to Write.

      "Were do you get the motivation to write?" is a question that I get asked a lot. Other writers act surprised when they find out that I produce at least 2,000 words a day as if I have some sort of secret, some ancient knowledge. They are equally surprised when I answer their initial question. "I don't," I reply.
     Now we need to be careful to get some definitions down here. I view motivation as the urge to do something. A sort of fire-in-the-pants that pushes you to do something difficult. I see inspiration as a sort of spark to that fire-in-the-pants. It is the initial idea that gets you writing in the first place. I distinguish between the two for this fundamental reason: All I need is the inspiration.
     Once I have the initial idea, that spark, I am able to produce at a fairly quick rate. I need a topic and I need time but I don't need motivation. I view writing as something that I need to do. I don't understand the idea of needing to be motivated to do it. When i wake up from bed in the morning the first thing on my mind is "I need to bang out 2,000 words." Why is that? It's simple. Because I have to. I don't view it as a choice. Writing is not only my job but it is also my dream. I decided years ago that I was going to be a writer and now all I have to do is produce good work.
     It really is just a matter of putting your butt in the seat and being productive. There is no magic technique. If you are reading this then you most likely already have the motivation to write. Now you just need to make yourself work. Make it the priority in your life and it will get accomplished. If its not a priority in your life then why are you writing in the first place?
   Stop making excuses. Turn off the T.V. and yes even get off of the internet. Write. That's it. Sit at your computer and move your fingers. Even if it stinks and nothing you are writing makes sense. It might inspire you to a really great idea.

Tips:
   - Make a schedule for yourself and stick to it.
   - Write everyday. Even if you don't feel like it.
   -The night before, map out the scene that you are going to write the next day that way you don't have to worry about it later.
   -Don't lie to yourself. Don't say "I'll get to it later," when you know you wont. Make it a priority.
   - Get a support system. Be accountable to someone who will ask you everyday if you hit your word goal.
   -Get over yourself. You don't need to treat writing like some sort of high art form that has to have perfect conditions.
   - SIT DOWN AND WRITE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment